- the capacity for logic, understanding, self-awareness, learning, emotional knowledge, reasoning, planning, creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving. More generally, it can be described as the ability to perceive or infer information, and to retain it as knowledge to be applied towards adaptive behaviors within an environment or context.
What’s your Pistol IQ Score?
This unique course is a result of my own journey as a shooter, intended to streamline each student’s development to shooting enlightenment by distilling shooting down to its simplest principles and forms. I had to learn a lot of things the hard way, and it’s now time to pass along those lessons learned to help you establish a pathway forward that bypasses the common pitfalls most shooters spend YEARS struggling to get past.
One of the biggest lessons I had to learn was the importance of and the role that visual processing plays in one’s shooting. I spent a long time stuck in my development not because I couldn’t grip and press the trigger well, but it was because I didn’t yet understand how to unlock the potential that already existed in my vision—the ability to see and process visual information more efficiently and with greater precision.
In this course we will unlock that visual performance and show you how to connect what you see with your desired results on target. You will come away with the ability to KNOW precisely where each bullet fired will impact the target before it even gets there. Some of the things in the course may seem like it has a competition focus, but I promise you these concepts are ESPECIALLY useful for gun carrying professionals and serious concealed carrying citizens. Learning to use your vision more effectively has been shown to actually reduce stress and improve decision-making when it matters. We will also cover the following:
- Principles of grip
- Sight picture
- Trigger manipulation
- The direct relationship between sight picture and trigger
- Recoil management
- How to discover your own unique techniques that work best for you
- Vision drills
- Shot calling
- Accountability for hits
- Draw efficiency
- Concepts of sooner NOT faster
- “Gunfight Hit Factor” – for better understanding how to apply these shooting skills in the real world
Plus, each student will shoot the Pistol Intelligence Standards to establish their own Pistol Intelligence Quotient (I.Q.) score. This score can then be used to establish a baseline of performance to measure future growth. To score well at the Pistol Intelligence Standards requires that a shooter be well-rounded and not just good at one or two things. Those that can score a Pistol IQ of 144 points or more will be awarded an exclusive numbered Pistol IQ Metal Card.
- This should not be the first formal pistol training course you have taken. This is not a class intended to teach you how to draw or how to setup your gear. This is a class to teach you how to SHOOT! You should already be comfortable and safe with drawing from a holster.
- 800 rounds of reliable ammunition
- Quality pistol
- A minimum of 3 magazines (if single stack, 5 mags minimum)
- Mag pouches recommended (you should be able to carry at least 2 spare mags on your person–using your pocket is fine, too!)
- Quality holster – No Serpas – No soft/collapsible holsters.
- Eye protection
- Electronic hearing protection STRONGLY encouraged
- Clothing appropriate for the range and weather
- Note taking materials (notepad/pen or phone)
- Good attitude and an open mind
*Course tuition does not include any range-use fees that are payable to the range or course host.
Ammunition for My Courses
I've partnered with Mountain City Supply (MCS) to bring ammunition to my students. MCS is a smaller up-and-coming ammunition manufacturer based in Castle Rock, Colorado. I wanted to work with them not only because they are local to me, and their prices are very reasonable, but also because I could tell they truly care about making a quality product and have listened to every suggestion I have brought to them. PLUS…they always have ammo IN STOCK! Please consider making your next ammunition purchase from them at www.MountainCitySupply.com and use the code “BOWMANBREW” to receive faster order processing and free shipping on orders over $200.